We can prepare many varieties with gongura(red sorrel leaves).This is the third variety I am posting on gongura.Gongura is the most basic in Andhra.
- Gongura leaves:5 cups(Red sorrel leaves).
- Onion:2 (big sized).
- Red chillies:5-6.
- Red chilli powder:1 -2 tsp(adjust to your spice level).
- chana dal:1 tbsp.
- Urad dal:2 tsp.
- Salt:adjust to your taste.
- Garlic:12-3 pods.
- Mustard seeds:1/2 tsp.
- Oil:4 tbsp.
- Remove the gongura leaves from stems and wash for 3 times and drain them until all the water drains.Spread it on a cloth and dry it in a shade for one day.
- Dry them until all the water becomes dry and take care that they should not become crisp.In summer it will take only 1/2 day.
- Cut the onion into thin slices.
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds and add chana dal,urad dal and fry until it turn brown in color.
- Now add broken red chillies , garlic and fry well.
- Now add onions and fry well until it turns pink in color.
- Add the gongura leaves and fry well until it reduces the volume.It will take 15-18 min to fry.
- Now add salt and red chilli powder and fry for another 3 min.
- Alternatively you can fry gongura leaves in another kadai and mix it with seasoning so that we cannot get hard gongura.
- While drying it in shade make sure that to dry in single layer.
- Gongura(Mesta) Chutney (tastyandhealthyrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Andhra inspired – Gongura Pappu Chaaru (thepiquantepicure.wordpress.com)
- Gongura Pappu (Dal with Ambada, Lentils and Sorrel) (aahaaram.wordpress.com)
- Gongura Pappu (danceandspice.wordpress.com)
- Gongura Pappu(Dal)(Basic Andhra Style) (tastyandhealthyrecipes.wordpress.com)